Wednesday, January 16, 2008

Sometimes I feel that running this household turns into managing an office. Except that I do have the power to spank unruly children, and I never get the luxury of calling in sick or taking a three week vacation on the beach. Around here I'm in the process of instilling communication skills training in the children. One kid already has a communication problem, the other may -too early yet to tell- and either way I feel like organizing my Plan of Action in a real business-like manner.

I used to watch all sorts of motivational videos when I was employed. Some were training films, some were designed to reinstill a sense of pride in work. The best I ever saw were funny; I wish they had the animated clips back then. The cartoon-style teaching films are not only great at motivating and teaching adults, they work well for teaching kids. As always, I have to say that I do favor tv in my kids' lives. With moderation and parental supervision. That's the key for us- and everybody knows how to use the "off" switch.

I don't know why animation holds this kind of ability. Is it the sense that we, as adults, are indulging our childhood selves? That as long as it reminds us that we're still young and cool we can't possibly have turned into responsible adults with car loans to pay and budgets to adhere to? Animation is fun. Cartoons are more fun, and watching them when you're supposed to be working is a lot like having fun on the clock. Which makes the day go faster, the employee more productive, and everyone a lot happier with their lots in life. Or their low pay, middling benefit package that sounds a lot better on paper then it ever does when you're sick... I could go on, but I don't want to depress anyone. Let the reader beware: there's always something that your boss won't tell you when you take the job that may just change your mind about taking it in the first place.

No comments: