Thursday, January 17, 2008

Hey, so I just remembered that I forgot to a) make that tuna casserole and b) blog about it. Forgive me? I've been slightly insane, what with the child who won't sleep and the anxiety surrounding billpaying, and with the hundred other things I'm obsessing about.

My crockpot meal for today, however, is smelling and looking just lovely, so why don't I tell you about that?

Creamy scalloped potatoes with ham and leftover pork.

4cups of potatoes, sliced thin (about 20cents worth, they were on sale)
1 can evaporated milk (fifty cents)
1 can cream of mushroom (sixty-eight cents)
1 and a half cups chopped ham (leftover, maybe a dollar's worth)
1 cup of frozen chopped onion (fifty cents)
a handful of leftover fried potatoes from a dinner last week (I count this as free)
about half a pork chop, ditto, sliced up (ditto)

cook in crockpot for one hour on high, rest of day-ish on low. The recipe doesn't call for stirring, but mine was starting to scorch at the sides of the bottom so I started stirring every two hours or so with a wooden spoon. This has caused the potato slices to crumble a bit, making it look more creamy and less lumpy.

So I've got a full crockpot for $2.88 This is supposed to feed 6-8 people. That works out to either .48 or .36 a plate. Not too shabby a frugal meal, hm? I'll plate it next to green beans, which will only raise the total a little bit.

No comments: