Monday, January 7, 2008

Another way I save a little money and cut back on sugar-laden stuff is to use generic crystal light drink mix instead of apple juice for the Toddler. Now, she does get fruit juice. The real stuff, about a cup a day in addition to her milk. But for hydration purposes we use the other stuff. I know that I can drink as much as I can stand and it's water flavored with artifical stuff and not sweetened with sugar that bounces both of us off the walls. I get generic, and I mix it up half strength (thus stretching it much farther) without losing any of the taste. That stuff can be pretty strong if at full-strength; I have to admit that I don't really notice a drop in taste or quality at half-strength.

As far as jugs go, I got one of those gallon jugs of apple juice, the kind that comes in a heavy plastic. Very durable plastic. I bought two of them on sale for $5, and am still using them a year later. Every third or fourth refill I empty the whole thing down and wash out thoroughly. One jug is drinking water, the other is juice.

Anything to make the job of staying hydrated go a bit better. It can be hard enough getting enough fluids in the body, especially in the heat we get here in the summertime. I didn't get used to it last summer, not really, and I know that I'll find the coming year just as bothersome.

No comments: