Sunday, January 13, 2008

It's kinda a nobrainer that you save money by using the library for all those books instead of buying them. You save on household clutter as well. But there's a bit of a gray area when it comes to holds and reserves. It might be considered less than frugal to pay the fees that so many libraries are charging these days, but I like to weight that against what it costs me in time and aggravation to get the exact things I want. Right here it costs 50 cents to go online and reserve a book. I can have access to anything in the combined collections of the entire San Joaquin Valley Library system (spanning a couple of counties). It arrives at my local branch in about a week, and is held there for another week until I can come in and pick it up. Half a dollar per book, I know it's there before I leave the house, and that to me is worth that fifty cents.

No comments: