Tuesday, May 8, 2007

I just got around to cleaning up a little of the house- I don't tend to count the normal chore roster as "cleaning up". Dishes, laundry, toy picking up; those are all necessary things that get done every day come hell or high water. Vacuuming happens as toddler and time permit. I've been particularly peeved at myself for the past two weeks because while I'm able to come up with ideas and plans for getting beyond the daily chores and into spring cleaning stuff I can't seem to get the time or energy to do these things. Today, I've done it.

Whether or not this has to do with the part about my caffeine intake has now regained the level it was at before I lost all that time and energy... let's not go there, okay? Let's focus on the positive. I'm reclaiming my living room. I'm reclaiming the kitchen table. One of these not-too-far off days I'm going to rediscover that there really is a kitchen counter underneath the piles of stuff and assorted trash that's built up. Why do we save all these bits of paper that come into the house? Why do we save oodles of things that we'll never use again, never see again, never need for any reason at all? It's not that much harder to put it in the trashcan than it is to put it on the counter. Is there hope that I can be retrained? Is there the possibility of *gasp* a picture perfect house in my future?

Note: I have a two year old. I'm not looking at an issue of Beautiful Homes here. I'd settle for something lived in but extraneous-clutter free.

No comments: