Monday, May 28, 2007

A great way to incorporate relaxation breathing into daily life- bubbles. You know you need to take those deep, cleansing breaths. Maybe you're working on increasing lung capacity, or on reclaiming it from the stress that gets you all knotted up inside. It's hard to know when you're doing it right, hard to tell exactly when the breathing is only another way to express your built-up tension.

I blow bubbles almost every day with my two year old. She loves them. Aside from being pretty, they are another way to play with mommy. She has my undivided attention. In the shade, they're cool. In the sun, they're shimmery and beautiful. I blow them inside, sitting on a chair, sitting on the floor, or standing up and moving around. One thing I've discovered with blowing bubbles is that I get the best results by a slow and steady blow- the same sort of exhale that comes with doing the deep breathing properly. I've now got a few times a day in which I stop, step back from everything else going on, and there's nothing to focus on but the smiles on my baby's face and the breathing. And the bubbles.

Talk about the ultimate in multitasking!

No comments: