Friday, April 6, 2007

My goal over the next three months is to get our family down to one bag of trash per week. This should not be hard. I tell myself that if we have another child, we should switch over to cloth diapers... But will it happen? I don't know. I could certainly try it.

The battle of cloth or disposable diapers is not an easy one to judge. Each side has their pros and cons, and they are not always judged the same for every family. For apartment dwellers who must seek a laundromat every day to wash the diapers, for families who choose a diaper service, for the families who find it easier to boil their diapers on the stove to achieve "proper" sanitation. It's really a huge tossup.

Disposables have been demonized as creating mountains of non biodegradable landfills. A single child in disposables will produce hundreds of these a month, thousands before they're potty-trained. The advantage being that they're easy to use, when you change the baby the diaper is tossed and you never have to see it or touch it again, and the child is always in a clean and germ-free environment.

Personally I refuse to say that one is better than the other. I can see both sides. If I had all the things that would make cloth as easy for our lifestyle as disposables, I would switch. Unfortunately I have to live in reality land. We just don't have the setup for cloth diapers. We don't have the money for a service, and there are certain instances where neither my husband nor myself can cope with what a cloth diaper entails. Next time? We might. We'll talk out the decision all over again.

No comments: