Tuesday, June 12, 2007

Shepherd's Pie, our variation on a theme.

some leftover meat, if available, otherwise a pound of ground beef or turkey. cooked and crumbled. Tonight I'm using three leftover teriyaki beef steaks.

some leftover vegetables. Tonight this is a can and a fifth of diced tomatos, drained; a can of mixed veg, and a cup of buttered carrots. Another night a good substitute is: two cans of condensed vegetable soup and 1 can of mixed veg.

About 4 cups of mashed potato. I'm using a pouch mix, because I'm lazy.

Sprinkle shredded cheese over the top, cover if you feel like it, and bake for about 40 minutes on 350. The pan I'm most fond of using is my big dutch oven. It's the biggest pan in the cheapy starter set I bought at walmart ages ago when we set up housekeeping. Toss it all in and bake. If I have to cook my meat first, I don't even bother using an extra pan; I drain off the meat juices/fat and dump everything else in.

No comments: